Thomas TIERNEY and Alice FLYNN
West Lot 3, Concession 2, Osgoode in 1879
(Dozois Road, South-east of St. Mark's High School)
June 9, 2003:
By 1879, Thomas and Alice (the first generation of this family to come to Canada
are deceased. I believe Alice was a Peter Robinson Settler in 1823. (PR)
Their son Patrick is shown in the 1881 Census for Osgoode. Thomas Tierney was
in demand as a best man, Godparent and executor of wills in the neighbourhood.
This Tierney family was friends with my CHRISTOPHER and BURNS ancestors.
Thomas was a witness to the will of James Burns (married to Elizabeth Walsh) in 1863
and was an executor in 1871. I have a copy of this will, thanks to Michael Daley.
1881 Census Place: Osgoode, Russell, Ontario, Canada
Source: FHL Film 1375865 NAC C-13229 Dist 104 SubDist G Div 1 Page 2 Family 8
Sex Marr Age Origin Birthplace
Patrick TERENSY M M 39 Irish Ontario
Occ: Farmer Religion: Catholic
Margaret TERENSY F M 35 Irish Ontario
Alice Ann TERENSY F 13 Irish Ontario
Thomas TERENSY M 11 Irish Ontario
Bridget TERENSY F 9 Irish Ontario
Patrick TERENSY M 7 Irish Ontario
Catherine TERENSY F 5 Irish Ontario
Nicholas TERENSY M 3 Irish Ontario
Margaret TERENSY F Irish Ontario
Born: Jan; *
February 24, 2008:
Thanks to Sue for the following:
Patrick Tierney, son of Thomas Tierney and Alice Flynn, was baptized 2 June 1842
at Notre Dame, born 24 May 1842.
He married Margaret Ralph, a daughter of Walter Ralph and Bridget Brennan).
They had 9 known children in the following order:
1) Alice Ann, 27 Feb 1867, still single in 1911
2) Thomas W., abt 1870 and died at age 13 of diptheria 27 Jan 1882
3) Bridget, 13 April 1871, married 22 Sep 1914 in Ottawa, James Patrick Harney,
a son of Patrick Harney and Annie Downey
4) Patrick Sarsfield, born abt 1874 and died at age 8 of diptheria 21 Jan 1882
5) Catherine, born abt 1876 and died at age 6 1/2 of diptheria 25 Jan 1882
6) Nicholas, 4 May 1878, married 25 June 1913 in South Gloucester to Catherine
Teresa Nolan, a daughter of Michael Nolan and Anna Carroll
7) Margaret Jane (Maggie), 31 Jan 1881, married 28 Feb 1923 in Toronto to James Walls,
a son of J. W. Walls and Eugenia Smith
8) Catherine, 9 April 1883, still single in 1911
9) Thomas Patrick, 16 Feb 1887, still single in 1911
As you can see, this family suffered terrible loss in 1882, losing 3 of their
children to diptheria in just 6 days.
Patrick Tierney died 29 March 1912 in Osgoode and his wife Margaret Ralph Tierney died
6 October 1918 in Osgoode.
E-mail Sue, Michael Daley and Al Lewis
Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa area -- Osgoode Township