Town of Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
History and Genealogy
September 1, 2013:
The following six photos were taken at the McDougall Mill Museum in the Town of Renfrew. This is a terrific large, three story museum
located in the centre of town on the Bonnechere River. It houses a large variety of exhibits and artifacts and is a good place to start
for local history.
Before the Town of Renfrew was named, small pioneer settlement was known as the Third Chute of the Bonnechere. This is referred to
in the records of Notre Dame Cathedral in downtown Ottawa which sent missionaries to perform baptisms, marriages, etc. Here are three
13 Aug 1831
Baptism of Mary, 3 mos. old, daughter to Dennis Carroll and Ellen Finny from Bonnechere (Renfrew) on the Grand River (Ottawa River)
Witnesses: James Burke and Elizabeth Murphy
M. Lalor, Priest
26 Oct 1838
Baptism of Michel, 2 mos. Father: Ignace, an Indian (Algonquin)from the Bonnechere;
mother: Marie Anne
Witness: Honore Danis
25 Jul 1842
After one publication of banns, marriage of Hugh Elferty, farmer of Bonnechere, (Renfrew County)to Mary Mulligan of the
Snake River in the Township of Sidney
John Mulligan & Dennis Elferty
Source for the above three records: Transcription of the Cathedral of Notre Dame registers by Mrs. Ellen Paul.
The Bonnechere River area was home to the Algonquin Nation (now a reserve called Pikwakanagan (formerly Golden Lake)).
As you tour the town of Renfrew there is a constant reminder of the role played in it's history by M.J. O'Brien.
His story is told in the book O'Brien, by Scott Young and Astrid Young - details at our bibliography page.
E-mail Allan Lewis
Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa, Canada, area