99th Regiment of Foot

July 22, 2001
I am seeking information on Jervice Mullen (Mullin) of the 99th
Regiment. When did he sell his property in Goulbourn. Where do I get
this information? Jervice was protestant so which church in the area of
Goulbourn would I seek information on the birth of his children Elenor,
Samuel and Patrick my direct desendent.
I know he moved to Wakefield, Quebec around 1836-38.

Jervis died in Nepean June 1884 and was buried in Wakefield.


New July 14, 2006: Hello I am a descendant of Jervis Mullen. I do not know if you have this info yet but if you can get you hands on this book it is awesome, lots of genealogical lines and stories like the one I have pasted in this email for you. It has pictures of their homestead, themshelves and descendants. I have some on my computer that I can send if you are interested. Just a note that according to this book Jervis started in the 100 regt. and was transferred to the 99th. The information provided here is directly from the genealogy book, Who's Which by Reby (Johnston) Dobbs. It is her words that are typed here. I was kindly loaned this book by a descendant and cousin, Bruce Mullen in the Spring of 2002. Hope this helps ... Kimberly John Mullin derived from the French 'Moulin' a mill. Of this family of eleven - the eldest child was born in Quebec City (the Citadel) - the second probably in Bytown. Seven children were born in Goulburn. Matilda & James after the family had settled in Wakefield township. **JERVIS MULLIN** Early in the Spring, 1812 , His Majesty's 100 Regiment of Foot embarked for Canada. There were tears in the eyes of many as the troops marched on board - they were l eaving the land of their birth, perhaps to return no more. There were no tears in the eyes of Private Jervis Mullin, late of Arboe, County Antrim. Unknown to all but two or three conspirators - well disguised in a private's uniform, marched Private Mullin's sixteen-year-old-wife! Jervis was born October 31, 1793, in the Parish of Arboe, County Antrim, Ireland, the son of a travelling weaver. Jervis was young when his mother died His father married again, and Jervis was reared by his step-mother. His own mother, Margaret Sargent, had been a Protestant, but his step-mother was a devout Catholic. Jervis accompanied her to church and learned "by heart" the 'Lords Prayer' in the Gaelic. He retained his memory of this and was able late in life, to teach the prayer to his own grandson just as he himself had learned it, in Gaelic. Jervis Mullin's father was not wealthy, and Jervis, when he had reached a suitable age, found employment as a house servant with one of the neighboring gentry. It was during the time of his employment with this gentleman's family that a mischievous prank proved to the 'turning point' of his career. One dark evening, he wrapped himself in a bed sheet and almost frightened his employer's young daughters out of their senses! Naturally, his services were no longer required. And so it happened, that July 8, 1811, found Jervis enrolled with the 100 Regt., and stationed in Londonderry. Jervis' nephew, also eighteen years of age, enlisted int he same regiment. **ELINOR ADAMS** It was 1807. The place - a neat little dwelling on the ourskirts of Londonderry; a grassy yard - with trees, and their own well. It was mid-summer. The road was dusty. The day was hot...But the heat had no effect on a group of little girls 'busily' occupied in the old time game of "The thread follows the needle". The children stood in a line with hands joined. The one at the end of the line- the needle, passing up the line and through space made by two children at the other end of the who stepped apart and raised their clasped hands high to form an arch, singing "The thread follows the needle - the thread follows the needle, and in and out the needle goes while mother mends the baby's clothes..." As Elinor turned a carriage stopped at the gate. Inside the carriage sat a lady, holding a baby. The driver was seated up in front. Getting down the man asked if he might get a drink of fresh water for the lady, and went to fetch it. Elinor asked if she might hold the baby...the horses started suddenly and the carriage wheels passed over her foot, crushing it badly. This lady who was heart-broken over the accident...kept Elinor under her own doctor's care till her foot had healed and in compensation offered to have her educated with her own daughter, who was of the same age. This kind offer was accepted, and Elinor was given the advantages of a private tutoring. Years passed - 1811 came, and streets of Londonderry were filled with military music and raw recruits of the 100 Regiment... And Elinor Adams met Private Jervis Mullen..They met opposition, too, from her parents, The army gave no encouragement, but they married anyhow, and awaited sailing. 1812 **JERVIS MULLIN** Weeks passed and the hour of embarkation grew near. Only a few of the officer's wives were permitted to accompany their husbands to Canada. An even lesser number of soldiers wives were allowed to go. Lots were drawn, and much dissapointment showed among the unlucky ones. Among those whose lot it was to remain at home was Elinor. Jervis and his pals planned to get her on board somehow. As she was a tall girl it was not difficult. Wearing a army uniform, her hair coiled high on her head under a shako, with the visor low over her eyes, she looked like any callow youth in Ireland. In their haste the young soldiers managed to drop Elinors small chest of boods and personal effects. After a few anxious moments the box was fished out. Beyond a few salt-water stains the contents were none the worse for their dip in the harbor. Elinor's presence on board was not discovered until the troopship had made several days journey. It is not on record what award was meted out to Jervis and his friends for their share in concealing the stowaway. Elinor was very unhappy. She had to share the quarters of the other soldiers wives, and those quarters were far from roomy. She was deprived of the company of her young husband and wished she was back at home with her parents. She was unaccustomed to the hardships of army life. The wives of the other soldiers were all older and more experienced. The wife of one of the officers felt sorry for Elinor. She obtained permission to retain the young girl as personal help and companion, and to come home with her when they reached Quebec. This kind offer was accepted gladly by Elinor. She remained with her newly found friend for the duration of the war, proving to be an intelligent and useful companion, able in many ways to repay the kindness of her benefactor. During her stay in the Citadel in Quebec, Elinor became very ill, with a high temperature lasting several days. Recovery was slow. The doctor oredered her hair cut short. By a curious co-incidence the barber called in to do the job, proved to be the same barber who had coveted that glorious head of hair in Londonderry. He got the lovely tresses for nothing, and got paid for taking them. One curl she kept for many years. Like her portrait, painted on ivory, it no longer exists. When Elinor became old she burned both the portrait and the lock of hair in the kitchen fire. Her granddaughter, Mary Ann Fairbairn tried to save them, getting her hands burned in the attempt. Jervis Mullin was in at least seven engagements in the Niagara District,; Queenston Heights October 13, 1812; The taking of Fort George April 12, 1813; The taking of Fort Niagara; The battle of Stoney Creek; Lundy's Land; Beaver Dam; and Chippewa. He was discharged at Quebec, when the Regiment was demobilized on September 24, 1818. Jervis had been transferred to the 99th Regiment toward the close fo the war. He had attained the rank of sergeant but reduced to corporal before his discharge. Jervis 'pal" sympathised with the Americans. He used to say "Mullin, I'll desart" He did desert, finally, and was found fighting on the American side. A courtmartial followed, and this soldier was condemned to be shot. It happened to be Jervis' lot to hold his Captain's horse, thus he witnessed the shooting...Jervis' nephew also went over to the Americans. He was not taken, and is said to have seen the termination of the war. He left descendants in the United States. Jervis wife Elinor helped a man to desert, once, probably Jervis' nephew. She burned his army uniform in the firepalce, but kept the buttons from his tunic. For many years afterward these reposed among others in her daughter, Ellen's button box. By now, I suppose they have gone the way of most old buttons. Jervis was for some time stationed at Fort Wellington, Prescott. 1818 The long weary wartime days finally ended, Jervis, now transferred to the 99th Regiment, with the rank of sergeant, was stationed in Bytown (now Ottawa). The soldiers stationed here were employed in building the canal locks, working on the 'Rock Cut" near Wellington and commissioner Streets, and other Government projects, Elinor remained in Quebec City with little James, their eldest son, born 1816, until the regiment disbanded. The government now had the problem of settling the different officers, non-commissioned officers and men, of the regiments that had been sent out from England to resist the invasion. The land set aside for the soldiers of the 99th and 100 Regiments lay in that section which is known now as Perth, Smiths Falls, Richmond, Goulbourn and the vicinity of Ottawa. Those who accepted the Government's offer of land left Quebec on the 28 of July 1818 and landed at the foot of the Chaudiere Falls on Randalls' lot in the early part of August of the same year. This spot came to be known as Richmond Landing. At the coming of these settlers there were only three house-holders at the 'Landing' - Captain Bellows had the dock and store. Isaac Firth kept a tavern. There was one settler, Ralph Smith, brewer and distiller, (ML# 594, from King's County, Ireland). The "Flats" as they called the neighborhood (Lebreton Flats) around the Chaudiere, was a busy place. Several hundred women and children, wives and families of the Richmond settlers remained there for the rest of the summer, and suffered a little from both cold and hunger before their soldier husbands had completed the road through the bush and swamp, and finished building the log cabins, These usually consisted of one or two rooms with a one room garret above, which was reached by a ladder. Sgt. Hill of the 99th regt. supervised the building of the road, as it was a government project. It followed the old Chaudiere portage trail, and with a few exceptions, the course of the present Richmond road. We, of the present day would not call it a road. The trees were cut, but in many cases the tree-stumps had been left standing. The carts and sleighs got aroung them the best way they could, but many of the settlers did not reach their newly built homes till winter, and there was much suffering from the cold. The second child, the eldest daughter of Elinor Mullin and Jervis was born late in the year, probably after they had set up housekeeping in Goulbourn. As Elinor was among the last to leave Quebec City, it is possible she missed the hardships of the wait at Chaudiere. They named the new baby Margaret after Margaret Sargent, Jervis' mother. Each soldier, other than the Officers and the non-commissioned officers was given one hundred acres of land the soldiers were placed under the superintendence of Major George Thew Burke. Each man was to receive rations for one year and the usual farming implements and seed. Each family was entitled to 1 pick-axe; 1spade; 1 shovel; 1 hoe; 1 draw-knife; 1 hammer; 1 hand-saw; 2 scythe stones; 2 files; 12 panes of glass; 1 pound of putty; 12 pounds of hand-wrought nails in three sizes; 1 camp kettle; 1 bed and a blanket. Jervis Mullin carried a number of these articles from Richmond, the place of distribution, through the woods for nine miles to his allotment of land in Goulburn. Some were strapped to his back; both hands were full and the camp kettle was on his head. He 'ran the gauntlet; of a whole army of mosquitoes, not cutting his way through them, but the reverse. They pierced their way through his delicate Irish skin as he waded across the long stretches of swampy ground. Bitterly complaining afterward of his face and hands so unprotected, the 'boys' in expressing their sympathy would have it that 'they bit him through the pot.' Winter set in, and Jervis commenced clearing the land in anticipation of next spring's planting. The log or timbered house that Jervis built for Elinor measured about twenty by twenty-eight feet in size, which was considered quite roomy for a pioneer's cabin. This log home was unusual, in that the fire-place was built in the centre of the house, thus dividing the lower floor into two fair-sized rooms with shelves for delft and china in one room, and kitchen utensils in the other. Jervis built his own fireplace. He would boast that he could build a fireplace with a draft that would draw a handkerchief up the chimney, if one held the handkerchief at the far side of the room. They made an effort to keep the fire always burning. It was an ancient Irish custom Then, too, it was not so easy to strike a light before the lucifer match came into common use which was after the 1820s. The floor downstairs was made of logs carefully squared and smoothed with an axe. These floors were never painted, but kept scrubbed white. Elinor and Jervis' log house had a real staircase. This raised it above the level of the ordinary settler's cabin, as the majority were content with a ladder on which to mount to the loft above. Before there was any local grist mill these pioneers made their sheat into flour by pounding the dried wheat kernels in a hardwood stump which had been smoothly hollowed out for this purpose. It was typical of Jervis that the stump he fixed for Elinor was the "best pounding stump in the neighborhood". The wives of many of the 'near by' settlers took every opportunity to come over and pound their wheat at Mullin's. Later there was a grist mill in Bytown, and one in Hull. The men would carry their wheat into Bytown to have it gourng each man would give a portion of his flour to the tavern-keeper toward the purchase of a 'bottle'. All but one - 'singing Murphy' they called him. He was exempt - he sang for his supper. All their supplies had to be brought up the river from Montreal by boat or canoe and landed at the foot of the Chaudiere where a small wharf had been constructed. This little place, formerly called Bellows Landing, was now given the name Richmond Landing, for the Duke of Richmond. The supplies then had to be conveyed in oxcarts or wagons to the settlers' homes. Jervis Mullin found employment working for on the 'Rock Cut' in Bytown and received for his labor the sum of ninety cents per day. At the end of each week he would buy supplies in Bytown and carry them home to Goulbourn. There was a trail through the woods, shorter than the surveryed road, and that was the way Jervis took. 1820 In the winter the men worked to clear the land of trees. Little James was now four years old. He liked to go out with his father and watch him bring the big trees down... Jervis was felling a large tree. It lodged for a moment in the branches of another tree, splintered, and crashed down in the opposite direction, killing James. There was no cemetery at that time. The child was buried near by in the clearing, Jervis and Elinor lived in Goulburn for fifteen years... They never ceased to mourn for James. Several more children were born, Ellen, the third girl, had hair like her mothers (auburn) but Elizabeth's eyes and hair were dark. Once when the two little girls were playing by the well, Elizabeth toppled and fell in. She sank, and came up, her long black hair floating out on the water, Ellen reached out and grasped her by the hair and held on till help a hair! In Spring, 1836, they moved up the Gatineau, Jervis took the big iron camp kettle with him when they sold the farm. On the morning they left Elizabeth came, carrying a tiny pig. When asked what she expected to do with that - she said "put it under the pot". 1835 The new home by the Gatineau River was nearing completion by the time, Jervis Mullin was ready to move up with his family. jervis did much of the labor himself. the timbered house was well situated on a rise of land overlooking the river. On his first trip up, when land could be had for the choosing- pls a small amount per acre, he had gone twenty some miles, north from Hull. To the left and the right, behind and ahead the trees rose, tall stately, awaiting the axe of the settler. Jervis keen eyes caught a glimpse of something familiar some distance away to the left. "Ah! a church" he said, "Right here is where I am going to build." But it wasn't a church; just a high flat-fronted rock with a peak rising high above the trees, and bearing at a distance, some resemblance to the front of a church. Jervis cleared the land, and prepared to build. Sourse: Who's Which by Reby (Johnston) Dobbs (Thanks to Kimberly John for sending it along) More from Kimberly: Hi Al you might be interested in my family site at the bottom is Patrick Mullen - if you go to the report and keep clicking next page it will give the linage that I copied from this book. There was lots of cousins' lines and other last names that were covered in that book but I mostly stuck to my direct lines.
E-mail Heather, Kimberly John and Al Lewis

Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa, Canada area -- Goulbourn Township