William MITCHELL from England and Mary MURPHY from Ireland
to Bytown then, to Osgoode Township
Painting by Ruth McMillan in 1976
Shows the Head of the Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa, Canada in 1893
June 22, 2015:
This Mitchell family was at Hog's Back at least by 1836 and William Mitchell was likely a worker on the
Descendants of William Mitchell
1 William Mitchell 1805 -
.. +Mary Murphy 1815 -
...... 2 John Mitchell 1834 -
...... 2 William Mitchell 1835 -
...... 2 James Mitchell 1840 -
...... 2 Margaret Mitchell 1842 -
...... 2 Mary Mitchell 1845 -
...... 2 Michael Mitchell 1849 -
Wiliam Mitchell and Mary Murphy are in the 1842 census for Nepean Township at Hog's Back.
Here is an early record of the birth of James at Notre Dame Cathedral in 1838:
3 Jul 1838
Baptism of James, born 8 June last of the marriage of William Mitchell & Mary Murphy
Witnesses: John Gunn & Eliza Gunn, his sister
Source: The Drouin Records at ancestry.ca
The Mitchell family shows up in St. John's Church at Enniskerry, in Osgoode Township in the 1860's.
The location of their farm at South Gloucester can be seen on the 1863 Putnam Map for South Gloucester.
The sponsors were two Mcbride ladies.
Both the McBride and Stratford families are on the 1829 McCabe List.
E-mail Allan Lewis
June 25, 2015:
In the Foran ancestral letters, Patrick Murray discusses renting of property (I think Murray
farm Lot 19 Conc 3 Gloucester) to a Joseph Mitchel - letter dated 1877. Foran's were originally on Lot 20 and then Lot 21
... Mary Quinn
This Joseph Mitchell is in the records of St. Philip's Church in Richmond.
Joseph's wife was Margaret SIMON.
William Mitchell was here early. He was the lockmaster at Hog's Back from 1831 to 1845, according to Ed Bebee's book
"Invisible Army" about the Rideau Canal workers, ISBN 978-0-9696052-4-9. He converted to Catholicism
at Notre Dame Cathedral.
July 8, 2015:
Thanks to Mary Quinn for the following:
Ran across some info in Gloucester records that shows Joseph Mitchell was married to Elizabeth Stratford and they
had two children confirmed at South Gloucester Our Lady of the Visitation in 1880, namely John and Margaret.