Macdonald Gardens Park in Sandy Hill
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Painting by Ruth McMillan in 1976
Shows the Head of the Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa, Canada in 1893
December 12, 2005:
Macdonald Gardens Park in Sandy Hill, north of Rideau Street, is being upgraded
by local volunteers in conjunction with the City of Ottawa.
In the early days of Bytown, this park was used as a cemetery by the Anglican,
Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist churches. Mary Anne has provided
details on our Early Cemeteries of Bytown page.
Here is part of Mary Anne's e-mail:
The City of Ottawa is proposing badly-needed renovations to the roof of the
stone summer house, and we are trying to raise money so that the roofing
material can be the original tiles; as well, the original weather vane, which
still exists, will be restored.
We need to raise about $17,000 for this project, on the premise that we
will be able to get matching funding through a city grant program. Please feel
free to come and visit Macdonald Gardens, bounded by Charlotte, Tormey,
Heney, Wurtemburg and Cobourg Streets.
Photo Credit: Library and Archives Canada
E-mail Allan Lewis