Iroquois (Mohawk) Villages in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec
April 23, 2014:
Source: Indian Village - Heck's Mill - Roebuck In Pioneer People and Places -- Early Grenville,
Grenville County Historical Society, Volume 8
Source: The Maynard "Dig" 1987 In Pioneer People and Places -- Early Grenville,
Grenville County Historical Society, Volume 18
Key words: Chippenhook, Museum of Man, Cornwall, Mohawk, St. Regis, Heck's Mills, Roebuck, Mr. McIvor.
October 25, 2014:
The first chapel was built at Oka in the summer of 1720 a half mile to the east of the present church in Parc d'Oka
at the mouth of the Riviere aux Serpents. During the two years that followed the Iroquois (Mohawks) of Sault-au-Recollet,
the Algonquins and Nipissings of Ile aux Tourtes were forced to move to the new mission. The registers of the new
mission begin in 1721.
In 1732 a new church was constructed of stone in the place of the present church. The church and the rectory were
enclosed by a wooden fence or stockade. The concession of the seigniory was conditional on the establishment of a
fortified place and Governor Beauharnois just as the Intendant Hocquart urged the order to fulfill its obligation.
The new village was organized around Fort Oka. The separate nations separated themselves. The Mohawks were along
the west of the village where today the Rue des Anges lies; the Algonquins on the east along the present day
Rue-Saint-Jean-Baptiste. With the arrival of the British in the St. Lawrence Valley and then the Conquest the ratio
of force between the Sulpiciens and the Amerindian was changed. At the beginning of New France French troops allied
with Algonquins in their struggles with the Iroquois. The latter allied with the English and were enemies of the French.
At the beginning of the 19th Century Protestant missionaries established a mission among the Amerindians. Being Anglophones
they easily attracted the Mohawks who remembered their grudge against the French. In the little religious war there ensued
a riot which erupted and on 14 June 1877 the church, the rectory and other buildings of Fort Oka were burned. Following
those events the Algonquins removed to the area around Maniwaki and many Mohawks were sent to the area around Muskoka
The present church was built between 1878 and 1883 and the steeple was finished in 1907. That which remained of the Sulpiciens
ancient seigniory was sold in 1936 to Credit foncier franco-canadien. Situated on the side of the main hill of Oka one
can still see the Stations of the Cross, built between 1740 and 1742 of four little oratories rising along the slope
and three chapels at the top.
Source: John R. Porter and Jean Trudel, Le Calvaire d'Oka, Ottawa, Gallerie nationale du Canada, 1974.
Here is an example of an early baptism from the registers of the Catholic Church at OKA:
8 April 1736
Marriage of Louis Seguin, son of Jean Baptiste Seguin and Genevieve Boisdore, and Marie Anne Raizenne, daughter of
Ignace Raizenne and Elisabeth Naim. Raizenne's Iroquois name is Sounontakanni and Naim or Nimb's is Tweattokwas.
Present: Louis Seguin.
These records are kept in the Centre d'archives de Montréal,
Registre de la paroisse de l'Annonciation-de-la-Bienheureuse-Vierge-Marie de Oka
Deux Montagnes (Vol. 1) 1721-1786
See also the web site of photographer Jeff Thomas, Urban Iroquois.
E-mail Allan Lewis
Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa, Canada, area -- First Nations History