Bellevue (Conroy) Cemetery, Aylmer, Quebec
A Pioneer Cemetery
Painting by Ruth McMillan in 1976
Shows the Head of the Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa, Canada in 1893
October 15, 2009:
I was reading about the Old Cemeteries. I was sent the attached info for the Bellevue Cemetery (Conroy) located in Aylmer, Quebec.
I also have about 3-4 pages listing the placements of the grave markers for the Maltese Cross if you would like them.
Many of the descendants of the pioneer settlers who came to Hull, Quebec in 1800 with Philomen Wright are buried in this cemetery.
Some of the surnames listed here are Luther Colton, Edey, Parker, George Routliffe, Godwin, Burke, Chamberlin, Davis, Hetherington,
Maxwell, Martin, Norman, Barbe, Benjamin Moore, Blair, Olmstead, Johnston, Kellogg, Brady, Breckenridge, Brown, Heath and Kenney.
Bellevue (Conroy) Cemetery, Aylmer, Quebec
October 18, 2009:
More listings from John:
E-mail Allan Lewis
March 11, 2012
The above three pages are transcribed here for search capabilities.
Note: 064 to 0102 is marked as Maltese Cross
062. Godwin Ann J. Godwin / 1844 - 1913
J. J. Godwin / 1846 - 1919
063. Davis In Memory of / Augusta Cutler / Daughter of Edward & Ellen / Davis
Died / Sep. 25, 1852 / E/ 11 Yrs. & 6 Mo.
064. Hetherington (stone buried face up in ground)
In Memory of / H. Hetherington / Died / Oct. 3, 1853 / 24 years
065. Parker - Taylor (stone buried face up in ground)
In Memory of Anne Emmeline Parker / Wife of Gideon O. Taylor / Died Dec. 2, 1859, AE 26 yrs.
066. Maxwell (stone buried in ground face up)
In Memory of / Helen Amelia / Daut'r of / Francis & Helen Maxwell / Died / Feb 16, 1857 / aged 28 yrs. & 1 mo.
067. Blair - Edey In Memory of / Hugh Blair / Died May 6, 1867, AE 53 yrs /
A native of Ireland / and his wife / Lydia Edey / died Jan. 28, 1867 AE 42 Yrs. & 6 Mos.
Lovely and pleasant in their lives / and in their death they were not divided.
068. Edey (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Samuel Edey / a native of Vermont, U.S. / Died / March 31, 1868 / Aged 82 Yrs.
069. Edey (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Samuel / Son of S. & A. Edey / died July 30, 1843 / AE 11 Yrs.
Somerville, Ottawa (stone cutter)
070. Burke (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of Mary A. Burke / Died Mar. 7, 1866, aged 22 Yrs.
071. Olmstead / Holstead (stone buried in ground, face up)
Esther Olmstead / Wife of George Holstead / Died / Aug. 8, 1849 / AE 38 Yrs.
072. Johnson / Kellogg (stone in ground, face up)
Joshua Elijah / infant son of Rev. J. H. Johnson & Orythia Kellogg / Died on the day
of his birth, July 10, 1864.
073. J. D. S. / Died / June 17, 1865, AE 84 Yrs (stone in ground, face up)
McFarlane, Ottawa (stone cutter)
074. H. B. & L. E. (stone buried, face up, parts missing)
075. Brady (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / William / son of / James & Margaret Brady / Aylmer / Died Mar. 8, 1864, AE 8 Yrs.
076. Maxwell In Memory of / Francis Maxwell / Died / Dec. 4, 1863, AE 76 Yrs /
a native of Co. Cavan, Ireland.
W. McFarlane, Ottawa (stone cutter)
077. Colton (stone face up, in ground)
In memory of / Alpheus Colton / died April 11, 1831, AE 28 Yrs.
Also his son / Luther, AE 5 mos. / Erected by his wife, Asenath Colton
078. Breckenridge (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Elizabeth J. / Daughter of / Mary & Andrew Breckenridge /
Died July 25, 1858, aged 1 yr. and 1 mo.
079. Edey Hellen (stone buried in ground, face up)
daughter of L. & M. A. Edey / Died / July 29, 1849 / AE 8 mos.
080. Bebee (stone buried in ground, face up)
Steadman Bebee / Died / Oct. 3, 1857 / AE 69 Yrs.
081. Moore (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / John C. Moore / Died / April 13, 1868 , AE. 26 Yrs.
082. Martin (stone buried in ground, face up)
Margaret Martin / Died / Aug. 1 1860 / 17 years
083. Wright (stone buried in ground, face up)
Sibel / Wife of John Wright / Died / Aug. 22, 1843, AE 49 Yrs. / Also their infants.
084. Little Nellie (stone buried in ground, face up; parts missing)
AE 9 Yrs. 7 Mos.
085. Norman (stone buried in ground, face up)
Sacred to / the Memory of / Richard Norman / Native of Bromley Co. of Kent, England /
died at Aylmer / March 7, 1860 / AE 60 Yrs.
McFarlane & Somerville (stone cutters)
086. Chamberlin (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Benjamin Chamberlin / Died / Dec. 5, 1845. AE 62 Yrs.
087. Norman (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Caroline St. Barbe / Wife of Richard Norman / London, England / Who died at /
Aylmer, on 29th of August 1858, AE. 53 Yrs (Her maiden name was Brown)
088. Moore (stone buried in ground, face up)
Ben'J Rich'd / son of Ben'J. & Nancy Moor / died May 18 1858 AE. 15 mos.
089. Edey (stone buried in ground, face up)
Abigail / wife of Samuel Edey / died / June 17, 1837 AE 40 yrs / also six of her children.
090. Routliffe (stone in ground, face up)
George Routliffe / died Dec. 30, 1867, AE 72 / native of Devonshire / England.
091. J. B. (stone in ground, face up; much missing)
092. R. (stone in ground, face up; much missing)
093. Marion (stone in ground, face up)
M / A la mémoire de / Alexandre Marion / décédé / le 19 Juin 1931 / age de 46 ans.
094. McConnell Richard / son of Richard & Hannah McConnell / Died Feb. 15, 1861 AE 13 Yrs.
095. Palmer (stone buried in ground, face up - broken - parts missing)
Ernest Harper Palmer / born June 16, 1873 / died June 30th, 1873
096. Wright (stone buried in ground, face up - broken - parts missing)
In Memory of John Wright / Jan. 17, 1856 / AE 70 Yrs
097. Chamberlin (stone buried in ground, face up - broken - parts missing)
In Memory of / Betsey / wife of Benj. Chamberlin
("Betsey" / Elizabeth who d. 26 June 1843, age 44 yrs)
098. Heath (stone buried in ground, face up)
Anna / died Feb. 1830 / AE 12 yrs. / also / Mahitable / AE 11 mos. /
Children of / Simon & Mahitable Heath.
099. Day To / the Memory / of Laura Day / who died / Sept. 15, 1843 / Aged 65 Years. /
(wife of Ithamar H. Day, Esq.)
0100. Moore (stone buried in ground, face up)
I am the resurrection and the life / Olive Moore / died / Dec. 1, 1861 / AE. 23 yrs / 6 mos. /
(Daughter of Levi and Phoebe Moore of Eardley, PQ)
0101. Wright / Edey (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Elizabeth Wright / wife of / Samuel Edey / died Nov. 2, 1841 / AE 48 Yrs. /
Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy
0102. Edey (stone buried in ground, face up)
In Memory of / Mary / wife of Luther Edey / died Nov. 23, 1842 / AE. 86 Yrs.
End of stones buried in ground.
0103. Murphy To the Memory of / John. A. Murphy / Born July 1, 1842 /
died Aug. 29, 1864 / Aged 22 Yrs, 29 days
Emeline Holt / wife of Thos. J. Murphy / Died / July 7, 1861 / Aged 22 Years, 7 months/
William Alfred / Only Son of Thomas & Emeline Murphy / died July 18, 1863 / Aged 27 Days.
0104. Murphy / Kenney In memory of / Emelene Murphy / wife of H. I. Kenney /Aug. 10, 1861 - Aug. 9, 1906
Henry Inkerman Kenney / June 6, 1856 - Apr. 11, 1931 / Kenney.
0105. Murphy THM / EHM / WAM (Murphy initials - very old stone)